Welcome To Swain County

Building Inspections Permit Information

Requirements to Obtain Building Permits:

Soil Erosion Control Measure in place

Septic approval (Environmental Health)

Building Plans – Residential (architect, engineer or hand drawn). Log homes – all NC Engineer Approvals and Sealed by NC Reg??
 - Commercial (NC Seal, Architect or Engineer Drawing)

911 Address

PIN – (Tax Office)

N. C. Lien Agent

All Contractor Signatures – General contractor and all sub-contractors must sign permit

Contractor List – Licensed Contractors only including electric, plumbing and mechanical

Porta-john on site before Electrical/waivers or approval from Environmental Health

Building Codes are the 2009 Edition ICC International Building Codes

Record of Inspections (pdf)

Check Lists (PDF)


Mobile Home

Sedimentation Control

Under one acre / no permit required/ must contain sedimentation on site

One acre or more
Plan required to be drawn by registered engineer, or a qualified person who can draw plans to meet Swain County ordinance.
Plans must have a financial responsibility/owner form (PDF)
Must apply for DWQ permit
If in waterway, must have Corps of Engineers approval.
After Plan Review, a grading permit must be issued before grading begins.

Erosion and Sedimentation Control Measures (link)

Swain County Permit FAQ (pdf)

Permits (PDF)


Mobile Home




Gas Line



Building Inspections
Administration Building
50 Main Street
Bryson City, NC 28713

Mailing Address:
PO Box 2321
Bryson City, NC 28713

Jason Web
Interim Director of Inspections
Phone 828-488-9134, ext. 2268
Fax 828-488-9601

Jerry Bryan
Code Enforcement Official
Phone 828-488-9134, ext. 2211
Fax 828-488-9601

Gina Wiggins
Code Enforcement Official
Phone 828-488-9134, ext. 2268
Fax 828-488-9601