Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Health Department 2019-2024 Seal

The Swain County Health Department

Provides many services to residents of Swain County and surrounding areas. The Health Department has a full-time staff consisting of the Health Director, Public Health Nurses, Environmental Health Specialists, Nutritionists, Health Educator, Social Worker, Management Support Staff, and Clinician.

Mailing Address:
545 Center Street
Bryson City, NC 28713

Fax 828-488-8672

Office Hours: 7:45 am – 4:45 pm Closed for lunch 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm, Monday – Friday

Alison Cochran – Director – 828-488-3198 x2002

Stacy Parris – Operations Director – 828-488-3198 x2030

Megan Smoker – Clinical Director – 828-488-3198 x 2025

Brent Jones – Environmental Health Supervisor – 828-488-3198 x 2028

Family Planning Program
The Swain County Health Department Family Planning Program provides family planning services to men and women of reproductive age. The Family Planning Program offers pregnancy testing and counseling, birth control, preventive health services, STD testing, preconception counseling, and basic infertility services. Family Planning services provided to minors do not require the consent of a parent/guardian. All services are confidential.
Available Birth Control Methods:
Mirena IUD
Liletta IUD
ParaGard IUD
Nexplanon Implant
Depo-Provera Injection
Birth Control Pills
Emergency Contraception is available on a walk-in basis, Monday – Friday.

Family Planning services that require consultation with a Physician are provided by appointment each Wednesday.

The cost for Family Planning services is based on a sliding fee scale.  Swain County Health Department also accepts NC Medicaid. To schedule an appointment please call 828-488-3198.

Adult Health Clinic
Adult Health Clinic is for anyone 18 years and older for a complete physical. This service is by appointment on Wednesdays only.

Communicable Disease
TB, AIDS, and other Communicable Diseases provide counseling and assistance in accessing medical and support services.

Sexually Transmitted Disease STD’s – Clinic provides testing for a variety of sexually transmitted diseases. Educational counseling and preventive measures are included. Treatment for certain STD’s is provided at no charge.

General Clinic – Walk-In
General clinic provides blood pressure, weight, and immunization checks per patient’s request. Some laboratory services are also provided. (May require a doctors order) No appointments are necessary for these services. 

Health Education
The Statewide Health Promotion Program of North Carolina supports community-based programs promoting policy and environmental changes that will support increased physical activity, healthy eating and tobacco cessation. Our Healthy Communities Program is involved with many partner agencies to help improve the quality of health within our community.
Our Focus: Substance use/misuse prevention, chronic disease. 

Tobacco Prevention

• Help in quitting smoking – Call 1-800-Quit-Now (1-800-784-8669.)
Telephone Service is available 24/7 toll-free
• Smoke-free parks & Recreation
• NC Restaurants and Bars Law
• Second-hand smoke facts
• Fresh Start cessation classes
NC Tobacco Prevention and Control 

• Diabetes Prevention classes
• Swain Summits Program (link)

Substance Abuse Prevention
Partners with community agencies and coalitions such as the Coalition For A Drug-Free Swain County.
• Lock your meds campaign is a FREE lockbox distribution.
• Promotion of Naloxone (the antidote that reverses an opioid overdose.
• Prevention of overdose through education and information.
• Syringe Dropbox Locations in partnership with other organizations.
• Medication Dropbox Locations at Swain County Sheriff’s Department & Bryson City Pharmacy. 

Women’s, Infants and Children (WIC) is a supplemental food program for women, infants and children. You may be eligible if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or have a child less than 5 years of age.

This agency is an equal opportunity provider.

WIC is available to pregnant, breastfeeding and postpartum women, infants and children up to age five. To participate, these persons must:

•Live in North Carolina.
•Have a family income less than 185% of the U.S. Poverty Income Guidelines. A person receiving Medicaid, Work First Families Assistance (TANF), or assistance from the NC Food and Nutritional Services automatically meets the income eligibility requirement.
•Be at nutritional risk. A nutritionist or other health professional makes the nutritional risk assessment at no cost to the participant, usually at the local WIC office.

WIC Income Guidelines -Once the size and gross income of the economic unit (or household) have been determined and documented, staff use the poverty income guidelines included in the chart below to determine income eligibility. The guidelines are published by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS)

Breastfeeding Support Project
Assembles classes, books, videotapes, breast pumps, one-on-one instruction and support are provided for women who would like to, or are currently, breastfeeding.

Non-Discrimination Statement
In accordance with Federal Law and Department of Agriculture (USDA) policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call toll free (866) 632-9992 (Voice). Individuals who are hearing impaired or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Declaración de No-Discriminación
De acuerdo con la ley federal y las políticas del Departamento de Agricultura de los EE.UU. (USDA, sigla en inglés), se le prohibe a esta institución que discrimine por razón de raza, color, origen, sexo, edad, o discapacidad. Para presentar una queja sobre discriminación, escriba a USDA, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, o llame gratis al (866) 632-9992 (voz). Personas con discapacidad auditiva o del habla pueden contactar con USDA por medio del Servicio Federal de Relevo (Federal Relay Service) al (800) 845-6136 (español) o (800) 877-8339 (inglés). USDA es un proveedor y empleador que ofrece oportunidad igual para todos.

Child Health Programs
Child Health is a referral service for uninsured children births through 21 years of age to Swain Family Care for routine checkups only. Authorizations for appointments are made by Swain County Health Department Staff.
• Care Coordination for Children (CC4C) is a care management program coordinated by a Social Worker for infants and children showing evidence of risk for developmental, social, or medical problems.
• Immunization Tracking and Services provides services for the purpose of tracking children birth through 2 years of age. It will ensure compliance of the required immunization schedule and required childhood immunizations at designated intervals of life. Also provides adolescent and adult immunizations upon request or as recommended.
• Car Seat Safety: The Department has a Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician who teaches parents about proper installation for compliance with the N.C. Child Restraint and Seat Belt laws. Appointments are scheduled on an individual basis.

Pregnancy Care Management
Pregnancy Care Management (PCM) is a program coordinated by a registered nurse for prenatal patients who need help with access to medical, social, educational or other services in the community.

For questions or to submit forms:

Environmental Health Public Records Search Request.

Swain County Health Department Fee Schedule – Onsite Wastewater Evaluations and Inspections Fees:  

  • EOP/COVID EOP pricing is 30% off of fees below
  • Session Law Permits are same as fees below


Residential Septic:

  • 2 Bedroom $450.00
  • 3 Bedroom $550.00
  • 4 Bedroom $650.00
  • 5 Bedroom & Above $ 750.00 + $100.00 additional over 5 BR
  • Authorization to Construct (AC) $250.00
  • Recreational Vehicle or Travel Trailer Permit $450.00
  • Repair Permit – Residential $100.00
  • Septic Tank Relocation Permit $225.00
  • Change of use of Facility $300.00
  • Addition to Structure $100.00
  • Additional Bedroom $200.00 per bedroom
  • Authorization to Reconnect to Existing System $ 150.00
  • Authorization to Reconnect to Existing in Mobile Home Park $100.00
  • Revisit Fee $100.00
  • Site Visit Fee $100.00
  • Administrative Fee $65.00
  • Operation Permit Type 4 & Above (5 Year Inspection) $1000.00

Commercial Septic:

  • 0-360 Gallon $1000.00
  • 361-1000 Gallon $1500.00
  • Repair Permit – Commercial $ 100.00


Well Construction Authorization Permit Fees:

  • New Well Permit $375.00
  • Well Abandonment Permit $100.00
  • Well Repair Permit $100.00
  • Well Variance Permit $150.00
  • Well Site Consultative Visit $100.00
  • Well Consult with Downhole Camera $300.00
  • Well Site Re-Visit Fee $100.00

Water Sample Application Fees:

  • Bacteriological Water Sample $75.00
  • Chemical Water Sample $100.00
  • Nitrate Water Sample $70.00
  • Pesticide Water Sample $100.00
  • Volatile Organic Analysis $100.00


Other Application Fees:

  • Food Plan Review Application $200.00
  • Pool Permit Application $100.00
  • Pool Construction, Remodel, or Modify Application $250.00
  • Tattoo Permit Application $100.00
  • Temporary Food Booth Application $75.00

    COVID-19 Informational Resources
    The Swain County Health Department wants to make sure our community has accurate information from reliable sources to help prepare for and prevent COVID-19. Please know that the health and safety of this community is our top priority. For reliable information please visit the CDC and NC Department of Health and Human Services websites.

    Coronaviruses like COVID-19 are most often spread by coughing or sneezing, through close personal contact (including touching and shaking hands) or through touching your nose, mouth or eyes before washing your hands.

    If you are not feeling well please avoid going out in public unless you need to seek medical attention. If you do need medical attention Call your primary care provider and describe your symptoms and how you may have been exposed to the virus. Your primary care provider will tell you what steps to take next. In the event of an emergency, call 911.

    • Swain County Health Department conducts a Community Health Assessment every 3 years. Community Health Assessment (CHA) is the foundation for improving and promoting the health of county residents. Community health assessment is a key step in the continuous community health improvement process. The role of CHA is to identify factors that affect the health of a population and determine the availability of resources within the county to adequately address these factors.
    • How to navigate our county’s scorecard.
    • The seasonal flu vaccine will be available in September and the cost is $30. Children who are uninsured or have Medicaid can get the vaccine at no cost. Please call 828-488-3198 x 2019 for more information
    • Public Health Video
    • Protecting Children From The Sun
    • U.S. Measles Outbreak 2019
    • Apply for NC Benefits and Services
    • Lifeline: A telephone alert system for emergency response. For more information call (828) 488-3198.
    • Oral / Dental Health:  The path towards a brighter and healthier smile starts with foundational knowledge about oral health. This website is an educational resource to provide a better understanding of oral health for all ages and populations. The page includes information for patients and providers alike to learn more about oral hygiene, routine maintenance, treatment plans, and more.

    The Human Services Board is the policy-making, rule-making and adjudicatory body for the Swain County Health Department.

    Human Resources
    Submit one application below:

    Completed applications can be mailed, emailed, or faxed:

    • Swain County, Attn: Human Resources, P. O. Box 2321, Bryson City, NC 28713
    • Faxed to: 828-488-2754 Attn: Human Resources
    • Emailed to:

    Swain County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

    Comments are closed.

    Close Search Window