New Hours of Operation effective December 1
Monday – Saturday 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Sunday 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
December 24 & 25
1492 US Hwy 19 South
PO Box 2321
Bryson City, NC 28713
Contact: Jerry Jenkins – Supervisor
Phone: 828-488-9719 Voicemail
All recycled materials must be removed from plastic bags prior to placing in the GREEN recycle compactor. Empty containers (plastic bags, film, etc.) should be thrown away separately in the garbage cans next to the GREEN compactors. Do not place containers or plastic bags in the GREEN recycle compactor.
- Newspaper, magazines, books, and all papers food/beverage boxes purchased at your grocery store are mixed paper. Use the GREEN recycling compactor. Do not include corrugated cardboard. A separate green recycle rolloff is used for cardboard.
- #1 through #6 hard plastic and #7 bottles – Leave lids on – Please empty all contents.
- #6 Styrofoam is excluded and should be discarded in the BROWN compactors.
- Aluminum, tin, and aerosol cans – Please empty all contents.
- Aluminum, tin, and plastic lids.
The Recycling Center will take the following glass items in the GREEN recycle rolloff sorted by color with all lids removed. Tin and plastic lids should be separated and placed with other recycled materials:
- Clear, brown, green, and blue glass bottles only – Please empty all contents. No window glass, ceramics, lightbulbs, or CFL light bulbs
The Recycling Center will take corrugated cardboard ONLY (no mixed paper) items in the GREEN cardboard recycle rolloff.
- Please break down all cardboard to a flat position.
- Please remove all packaging materials such as styrofoam, bubblewrap, and peanuts before flattening cardboard. All packaging materials are placed in the BROWN compactors.
The Convenience Site will take the following items. See staff for locations:
- Motor oil and filters
- Car batteries
- TVs, computers, and electronics
The Recycle Center next door to the Convenience Site will take the following items, Mon. – Fri. 7:00AM – 4:30 PM. See staff for locations:
- Large scrap metal
- Used tires
Items that are not acceptable:
- Paint – To dispose of paint simply open the lid, mix in oil dry or sawdust, let the paint dry out and throw in the trash.
- No chemicals including insecticides or herbicides
- Styrofoam – cups, plates, egg cartons, coolers, etc. Please remove all and place in BROWN compactors.
- Thin film plastics – bags, straps, or bubblewrap, etc. Please remove all and place in BROWN compactors.
Plastic bags and other thin film plastics are very difficult for Material Recovery Facility machines to process. These materials get caught in the rollers causing shutdowns and contamination.
Please rinse out all food containers such as pet food. Empty out contents of all plastic and glass bottles. Remove lids on glass bottles. Leaving food, liquids, napkins, paper towels, paper plates, etc. in containers causes contamination.
Plastic shopping bags can be recycled at your retail store instead.
Charge for building materials:
- Building materials including concrete, shingles, wood – 3.1 cents per lb.
Sanitation Dept. Fees
FEE SCHEDULE 2021 / 2022
All improved property used for commercial purposes, except those that operate as an overnight rental as per NCGS 105-164.4F and except properties that are defined as multi-business establishments: $350.00 (vacant and occupied).
All improved property used as a restaurant: $550.00
All improved property used as a Motel and/or Hotel establishments: $400.00, plus $30.00 per unit or room.
All improved property used for overnight rentals as defined in General Statutes Chapter 105 164.4F except those already defined in category 3, 5 and 6 in the fee schedule: $250.00
For all improved property used for industrial purposes, waste will be hauled to/by the entity with whom the County contracts for such disposal and will be billed at the current waste disposal rate being charged to the County.
The owner of improved property who receives the property tax homestead exclusion pursuant to N.C.G.S. 105-277.1: 40% of the current amount collection fee responsibility (i.e. currently residential fee is $115.00, therefore the fee for those who qualify said exclusion is $46.00)
All improved property used as a campground with tent and/or recreational vehicle sites: $400.00 plus $25 per site and/or unit.
(Note that property with recreational vehicles and/or trailers as defined within this Ordinance located thereon shall be assessed as set out in Category 1 above).
All improved property used as a Bed and Breakfast and/or Lodge establishments, such establishments are defined as: improved property where patrons stay overnight and have the ability to eat meal(s) prepared on-site): $500.00, plus $30.00 per unit or room.
All improved property being used for more than one use or a combination of any of the above uses/categories shall be assessed for each use type as set out in categories 1-7 hereinabove.
Special Waste, including but not limited to building/construction materials shall be assessed at $80.00 per ton.
Special Waste: Electronic devices including television, computers, laptops, printers and monitors: $5.00 per item.