New Hours of Operation effective December 1
Monday - Saturday 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Sunday 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
BROWN compactors used for household trash.
GREEN compactor used for recycled items.
Swain County Residents Are Encouraged to Recycle
All recycled materials must removed from plastic bags prior to placing in GREEN recycle compactor. Empty containers (plastic bags, film, etc.) should be thrown away seperatly in the garbage cans next to the GREEN compactors. Do not place containers or plastic bags in the GREEN recycle compactor.
The Recycling Center will take the following items in the GREEN recycle compactor:
• Newspaper, magazines, books, and all paper food/beverage boxes purchased at your grocery store are mixed paper. Use the GREEN recycling compactore. Do not include corregated coardboard. A seperate green recycle rolloff is used for cardboard.
• #1 through #6 hard plastic and #7 bottles - Leave lids on - Please empty all contents.
• #6 Styrofoam is excluded and should be discarded in the BROWN compactors.
• Aluminum, tin, and aerosol cans - Please empty all contents.
• Aluminum, tin, and plastic lids.
The Recycling Center will take the following glass items in the GREEN recycle rolloff sorted by color with all lids removed. Tin and plastic lids should be seperated and placed with other recycled materials:
• Clear, brown, green, and blue glass bottles only - Please empty all contents. No window glass, ceramics, lightbulbs, or CFL lightbulbs
The Recycling Center will take corregated cardboard ONLY (no mixed paper) items in the GREEN cardboard recycle rolloff.
• Please breakdown all cardboard to a flat position.
• Please remove all packaging materials such as styrofoam, bubblewrap, and peanuts before flattening cardboard. All packaging materials are placed in the BROWN compactors.
The Convenience Site will take the following items. See staff for locations:
• Motor oil and filters
• Car batteries
• TVs, computers, and electronics
• Small scrap metal
The Recycle Center next door to the Convenience Site will take the following items, Mon. - Fri. 7:00AM - 4:30 PM. See staff for locations:
• Large scrap metal
• Used tires
Items that are not acceptable:
• Paint – To dispose of paint simply open the lid, mix in oil dry or sawdust, let the paint dry out and throw in the trash.
• No chemicals including insecticides or herbicides
• Styrofoam - cups, plates, egg cartons, coolers, etc. Please remove all and place in BROWN compactors.
• Thin film plastics - bags, straps, or bubblewrap, etc. Please remove all and place in BROWN compactors.
Plastic bags and other thin film plastics are very difficult for Material Recovery Facility machines to process. These materials get caught in the rollers causing shutdowns and contamination.
Please rinse out all food containers such as pet food. Empty out contents of all plastic and glass bottles. Remove lids on glass bottles. Leaving food, liquids, napkins, paper towels, paper plates, etc. in containers causes contamination.
Plastic shopping bags can be recycled at your retail store instead.
Charge for building materials:
• Building materials including concrete, shingles, wood - 3.1 cents per lb.
1492 US Hwy 19 South
PO Box 2321
Bryson City, NC 28713
Scott Turpin - Supervisor
Phone 828-488-9719 Voicemail
Phone 828-488-4999 Office
House of Operation:
Monday - Saturday
7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
December 24 & 25